Dr Candice Silverman
Dr Candice Silverman is a Specialist General Surgeon and Laparoscopic Surgeon. Her subspecialty interests and training have focused on upper-gastrointestinal surgery, hepato-pancreato-biliary surgery, hernia surgery and obesity surgery. Specifically, Dr Silverman focuses on minimally invasive laparoscopic (keyhole) surgical procedures and she has successfully completed more than 2,000 operations using this technique.
Dr Silverman takes pride in offering compassionate and individualised care to her patients at all times, both in a public and private hospital setting. She works from the Tweed Heads Hospital (NSW), Murwillumbah Hospital (NSW) and the John Flynn Private Hospital, located in Tugun (QLD).
Education & Training
Dr Silverman is committed to her own education and training, as well as the advancement of others.
She trains general surgical registrars at the Tweed & Murwillumbah Hospitals. In addition, she is a Senior Lecturer at Griffith University and an Assistant Professor at Bond University. Candice is a Course Instructor for the Early Management of Severe Trauma (EMST) Program.
Dr Silverman graduated from the University of New South Wales in 1998 and was awarded a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery with Honours – MBBS (hons). In 2003, Dr Silverman completed a certificate in Sports Medicine through the University of New South Wales. This was completed while she was in the Australian Navy, working as a Ships Medical Officer.
After returning from Naval Service she completed her surgical training and commenced her fellowship in General Surgery. In 2007, Dr Silverman completed her fellowship with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons followed by two sub-speciality fellowships. She completed a hepato-pancreato-biliary fellowship at the Fremantle Hospital in Western Australia in 2008 and went on to complete a Bariatric Surgery Fellowship at John Flynn Private Hospital in Queensland in 2009. The later, inspired her passion and reaffirmed her dedication to weight loss surgery.
In 2012, Candice established Gold Coast Surgical Weight Loss. As Director, she is passionate about changing the lives of her patients with the latest in weight loss procedures and technologies.
Dr Silverman has developed a unique program for Gold Coast Surgical Weight Loss. ‘Peak’ offers a holistic approach to weight loss bringing together the disciplines of surgery, psychology and nutrition. Click here to read more about Peak.
Candice asserted her status as one of Australia’s leading Bariatric Surgeons in 2014 when she travelled to Houston USA for specialist robotic surgery training. Dr Silverman is now the first surgeon in QLD to perform weight loss procedures robotically. Click here to read more about the benefits of robotic surgery.
- Weight loss surgery
- Cholecystectomy and common bile duct exploration
- Hernia surgery
- Surgery for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)
- Cancer assessment and surgical management of liver, biliary tree, pancreatic, oesophageal, and gastric lesions
- Gastroscopy for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes
Research & Publications
- The National Institutes of Health Roadmap – Media Review. ANZ Journal of Surgery 2008. Click to view.
- Outcomes of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy following failed laparoscopic gastric banding (LAGB) procedures. Presented RACS ASC 2009, OSSANZ 2009, ASMBS 2010. Click to view.
- Introducing the Orbera intra-gastric Balloon into a weight loss practice. Winner of Best Poster at OSSANZ Hobart 2010. Click to view.
- Laparoscopic resection of a massive distal oesophageal diverticulum. Australian Gastro Week 2013. Click to view.
- A case report of right posterior sectoral duct injury during laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Annual Scientific Congress Singapore 2014, poster presentation. Click to view.
- Cholecystectomy in Nanogenerians. Annual Scientific Congress Singapore 2014, verbal presentation. Click to view.
- Initial experience with the Orbera intra-gastric balloon. Annual Scientific Congress Malaysia 2012, poster presentation. Click to view.
- Introducing the Da Vinci Robot to a Bariatric Surgical Practice Utilizing the Sleeve Gastrectomy – The First 10 Cases. IFSO World Congress Vienna 2015, poster presentation. Click to view.
- Utility of Ultrasound in the Management of Groin Hernias. Provincial Surgeons Association Meeting Lismore 2015 and the General Surgeons Association Meeting Cairns 2015 (presented by Havish Srinath). Click to view.
- Early Australian experience in robotic sleeve gastrectomy: a single site series. ANZ Journal of Surgery, February 2016. Click to view.
- John Flynn Hospital – Bariatric Surgery Q&A. Click to view.
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) http://www.surgeons.org/
- Obesity Surgery Society Australia & New Zealand (OSSANZ) http://www.ossanz.com.au/
- Australia & New Zealand Hepatic, Pancreatic and Biliary Association (ANZHPBA) http://www.anzhpba.com/
- Australia & New Zealand Gastric Oesophageal Surgery Association (ANZGOSA) http://www.anzgosa.org/
- General Surgeons Australia (GSA) http://www.generalsurgeons.com.au/
- Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA) http://www.gesa.org.au/
- Australasian Trauma Society (ATS) http://www.traumasociety.com.au/
- Australian Medical Association (AMA) https://ama.com.au/
State Member for Tweed Geoff Provost, Dr Candice Silverman – General Surgeon/Visiting Medical Officer Tweed/Byron Network, Minister Jillian Skinner and Bernadette Loughnane, Executive Director, Tweed Byron Health Service Group on the Ministers visit to Tweed Hospital.